The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD easily turns out to be the best-selling game in Japan, placing itself at the top of the weekly software rankings and confirming the usual Nintendo Switch domain in the Rising Sun, while there is also a notable leap forward of the Xbox Series X, even if obviously at an abysmal distance from the summit.
The main new entries of the weekly software ranking in Japan are The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD and Crayon Shin-chan: Ora to Hakase no Natsuyasumi, which are placed respectively at first and second place of the software rankings, surpassing Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin.
Crayon Shin-chan, a game dedicated to the historical animated series of the same name, is a beautiful “summer” adventure that unfortunately has not yet announced a western version but we hope it will arrive, given the great charm that emerges from the game. The other novelty in the top ten is Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space, which closes a first part of the ranking entirely characterized by games for Nintendo Switch.
On the hardware front, the music does not change, with Nintendo Switch which has sold a total of about 65,000 units while the PS5 family stops at around 10,000. The only strange news on this point is the bizarre leap forward made by Xbox Series X which sells 1503 units (a total of about 1800 along with Series S) this week, with numbers obviously far from the competition but also different from the standard performance of Microsoft consoles in Japan.
Software sales (total sales in brackets)
- [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (Nintendo, 07/16/21) – 159,089 (New)
- [NSW] Crayon Shin-chan: Ora to Hakase no Natsuyasumi –Owaranai Nanokakan no Tabi (Neos, 07/15/21) –107,319 (New)
- [NSW] Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin (Capcom, 07/09/21) – 32,111 (169,787)
- [NSW] eBaseball Pro Baseball Spirits 2021: Grand Slam (Konami, 07/08/21) – 20,711 (127,308)
- [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 12,164 (2,694,102)
- [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 11,565 (2,056,556)
- [NSW] Game Builder Garage (Nintendo, 06/11/21) – 10,634 (168,387)
- [NSW] Mario Golf: Super Rush (Nintendo, 06/25/21) – 10,339 (139,787)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 9,945 (3,919,253)
- [NSW] Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space (D3 Publisher, 07/15/21) – 9,379 (New)
Hardware sales (total sales in brackets)
- Switch – 53,530 (16,600,519)
- Switch Lite – 11,577 (3,959,196)
- PlayStation 5 – 8,640 (753,017)
- Xbox Series X – 1,503 (46,796)
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 1,467 (146,431)
- New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 584 (1,168,563)
- Xbox Series S – 371 (16,238)
- PlayStation 4 – 295 (7,797,482)