“No” to fascism and violence, “yes” to work, security, rights. CGIL, CISL and UIL, and with them the center-left, are preparing to take to the streets for what they expect to be a great democratic and anti-fascist demonstration. United because the “squad” assault on the CGIL headquarters last Saturday is considered an attack on the entire confederal trade union, on the world of work and on democracy. For Rome it will be another day of great mobilization that starts with the trade unions and extends to parties and associations. And the square will not be just any square, but the symbolic place of major events: Piazza San Giovanni. The trade unions call citizens and all the “healthy” forces of the country to their appointment, under the slogan “No more fascisms”, and the response is strong.
Dozens of members joined by associations, movements and parties, from Pd to M5s and Leu, Action, Italian Left, Communist Refoundation, Green Europe. Expected in the square, among others, the secretary of the Pd Enrico Letta and the leader of the M5s, Giuseppe Conte. The general secretaries of CGIL, CISL and UIL, Maurizio Landini, Luigi Sbarra and Pierpaolo Bombardieri will speak from the stage.
The day after the entry into force of the Green pass obligation for all workers, both in the public and private sectors, and on the eve of the return to the polls for the ballot for the choice of the mayor, including Rome and Turin, for the trade unions but also for the center left, today is not meant to be a political demonstration. The same number one of the CGIL points out this, Maurizio Landini, rejecting the accusation of wanting to “interfere” in the elections in any way.
After last Saturday’s attack, he repeats, there was a need for “an immediate response”. To reject fascist violence and unite around the principles and values of the Constitution and work. “We will be in the square not with party symbols but with the tricolor”, Letta had announced. Conte had also immediately recalled a wide participation of all political forces. The center-right, on the other hand, will not be there, appealing also to respect for electoral silence, as repeated by the leader of the Brothers of Italy, Giorgia Meloni, who rejects “the attempt to unload responsibility for the sole opposition”. “The square will be biased”, attacks the secretary of the League, Matteo Salvini: “Now we need to talk to everyone, against the extremists, without going to war”. In recent days Forza Italia had made it known that it would participate if the date had been moved. 50,000 are expected in Piazza San Giovanni. There are about 800 buses from all over Italy, 10 special trains, plus some flights organized to allow the inhabitants of the islands to reach the capital, as well as those who will move with their own means. A concentration in Piazza dell’Esquilino is expected before the event. “There is a heavy climate in the country, outbreaks of subversion, tension and violence must be extinguished”, says Sbarra. “We have to redesign this country,” says Bombardieri, starting from work.
Maximum attention on the front of security and controls, right after the violence last Saturday during the unauthorized demonstration of non-green passes, which also led to the arrest of members of Forza Nuova. The request to dissolve neo-fascist organizations by law will return from the square. Issue on which the political debate has opened: next week, Wednesday 20 October, the parliamentary discussion will start, in the Senate, on the motions proposed by the Pd, Leu, M5s and Italia Viva for the dissolution of Forza Nuova and the neo-fascist movements.