Milan, a sustainable and resilient city: the victory of the project at the PA award.
Piazze Aperte is the program of tactical urban planning interventions and collaboration agreements of the municipality of Milan that won the award “Pa Sustainable City” in the “Networking” category.
Open Squares: 27 new social spaces
They were in Milan about 20 thousand square meters of public space were pedestrianized and 200 benches, 250 potted plants, 350 bicycle parking spaces, 50 tables of which 25 for ping-pong were installed.
The administration specified “With Piazze Aperte, the municipality of Milan has inaugurated a new way of conceiving interventions on individual areas of the city by combining two complementary aspects: the need to intervene on the territory and the desire of citizens to be part of the change, for the better, of their neighborhood “.
Open Squares: the words of the Municipality
The Municipality comments “Tactical town planning is an innovative way of doing town planning, based on interventions carried out in the short term and at low cost, to bring the public space back to the center of the neighborhood and the life of the inhabitants.
Among aims of the Piazze Aperte program: rethinking the streets and squares of the neighborhoods as places of social interaction, vitality and meeting place, returning the urban space to public life, increasing the safety of citizens, pedestrians, cyclists through pedestrianization and traffic moderation interventions, with particular attention to children, the elderly and people with disabilities, to reconvert the existing public spaces thanks to low-cost and high-participation urban furniture and decoration interventions, before intervening with structural arrangements and finally favoring the effective collaboration between citizens and the public Administration, promoting the free initiative of citizens through the shared administration of common goods “.
Open Squares: all the awards of the Pa
Organized within Forum Pa 2021 – event dedicated to the public administration – and promoted by Fpa and yesASviS – the Italian Alliance for Sustainable Development – has awarded this year’s awards to the following initiatives:
- South Tyrolean Energy Agency Casaclima with the ComuneClima program
- Consulting hopes, with the CoME Easy project
- Province of Pesaro and Urbino, with the Wellness and Sustainability project for local planning
- Ispra (Higher Institute for Environmental Protection and Research) with the IdroGeo project
- Confservizi Cispel Toscana, with the Utilities and Sustainability catalog
- Intercent-Er – regional agency for the development of the telematic markets of Emilia-Romagna, with a project to report and communicate to stakeholders the contribution made to the themes of the 2030 Agenda
- La Snaaca Soc. Coop. Social, with the Snaaca 4 School initiative
- Department of Industrial Engineering of the University of Salerno, with the Greenopoli project
- Municipality of Bologna with the Good for food initiative
- Metropolitan city of Bologna with the Ciclovia del Sole
- the municipality of Milan with Open Squares
- Veneto Region with the Sustainability initiative: a network for a common goal
READ ALSO: Redevelopment of the city center: green areas and pedestrian areas between San Babila and Duomo