Heatstroke is an unpleasant condition that manifests itself with the arrival of summer and high temperatures. Anyone, from the youngest to the oldest, can suffer its effects. For the latter particular category of people, however, it is a very high risk. In fact, the elderly are more delicate and fragile if hit by heat stroke and this is because:
- they have a lower body capacity to dissipate heat due to the decrease in sweat glands, which manifests itself with advancing age;
- they often have previous illnesses and / or chronic pathologies;
- they usually take drugs, even on a daily basis, which could interfere with the normal regulation of body temperature.
It should also be emphasized that, normally, the stimulus of thirst is low in older people. Therefore it is highly possible that the body of an elderly person is also poorly hydrated, further accentuating the possible damage that could derive from a heat stroke. For these reasons it is essential to prevent any possibility of contracting this unpleasant condition.
Useful tips to prevent heat stroke in the elderly
- avoid exposing the subject to too intense activities during the hottest hours;
- have good air circulation in the house, while avoiding excessive current;
- make the elderly person wear clothes suitable for warmth, perhaps made of linen and soft colors;
- have a hat suitable for leaving the house during daylight hours;
- avoid exposing the elderly to baths or showers with hot water, prefer a lukewarm or cold temperature;
- introduce in the body a lot of fruit and vegetables divided into several portions throughout the day;
- drink as much as possible.
Heatstroke in older people here’s what you need to know to intervene
If heatstroke still occurs, here’s what to do to help:
- if not already there, move the elderly person to a cool, shady place;
- rehydrate the body by offering non-cold water, to be swallowed in small sips;
- place wet and fresh cloths in areas such as armpits, groin, forehead and neck;
- if possible, spray water on the body;
- if the elderly is very weak, call a doctor immediately.
Heatstroke in older people can be dangerous, here are some tips on what you need to know to intervene. However, remember that it is always better to prevent this condition.
(We remind you to carefully read the warnings regarding this article, which can be consulted who”)