In reality, there is no right age to begin to counteract the aging of our brain. Indeed, perhaps the most correct advice would be to learn how to do fine “mental gymnastics” right away. Just like we play sports and care about our health at the table.
We should spend the same energies to keep the mind active. It actually turns out to be very simple and can be fun. And if we are over 60, following these tips will be easier and more enjoyable as we will have more time and freedom to train.
How to train your memory and brain after 60 to stay awake and happy
Let’s see the main aspects that favor the simultaneous activation of various parts of our brain, thus enhancing the beneficial effect of the activity.
- Having an active social life: talking to other people, listening to them, reflecting and responding trains the mind by activating many areas of the brain;
- mental calculations every day: impose yourself and commit to making some simple mental calculations. Find the percentage of discount when shopping, predict the change in checkout or add up the amounts of the items taken. This activity is particularly suitable for stimulating logical thinking and attention;
- memory exercises: let’s go back to memorizing the phone numbers of our loved ones and friends. Or we can memorize a particularly beautiful short poem or a song heard on the radio;
- break the daily routine: essential to not let the mind stagnate. So we can change the routes to go to the supermarket or pharmacy. We will be able to read the book in the park or in the library instead of at home and so on. Anything that is unusual and not repeated in everyday life is fine. The brain is put to the test by stimulating it with novelties;
- finally be curious. Of everything. Also of technology and topics with which we have less affinity. Let us strive to learn new things.
As can be seen, these are all habits that generally maintain an active and stimulating life. They improve the quality of life. This is the healthiest way to stay young not only in the body but also in the mind.
A nice exercise
Among hundreds of exercises for the mind, there is one that is particularly effective and fun. Reading the usual newspaper or book, we look for all words ending with “-ity”. Let’s do it by reading the lines only once with the utmost attention. We can decline and modify the exercise indefinitely. We have seen how to train your memory and brain after 60 to stay awake and happy by leading an active and fulfilling life.
3 exercises to train the brain every day for 5 minutes
(We remind you to carefully read the warnings regarding this article, which can be consulted who”)