Precious victory grabbed in the final by the Scandinavians from the spot after Dubravka’s foul on Quaison
Important success in terms of qualifying for the round of 16 of the European Championships for the Sweden, which exceeds 1-0 the Slovakia. First half of the Gazprom Arena in St. Petersburg devoid of emotions. Then Andersson’s national team increases the pressure and finds the winning goal 13 ‘from the end: the goalkeeper Dubravka knocks out Quaison and Forsberg transforms the rigor granted to the Scandinavians. Sweden leads group E.
Sweden are still alive and they prove it (especially in the second half) in the 1-0 win against Slovakia. The Scandinavian team thus takes 3 fundamental points with a view to qualifying for the round of 16 of Euro 2020 and, waiting for the match between Spain and Poland tomorrow evening, flies to the top of group E at an altitude of 4.
Few emotions and zero shots on goal in the first leg of the match at the Gazprom Arena in St. Petersburg. At 5 ‘, on a corner from Hamsik, Kucka off well but the ball ends wide. On the other side of the field he also heads Lustig, but badly on the development of a lateral free kick. On another free kick beaten by Hamsik, Kucka tries again at the far post: the former Milan hits the ball with his shin and sends it into the curve. However, rather low pace at the start of the game, with continuous technical errors in the field, also surrounded by many contrasts in the central sector. Ball possession is constantly worked out during the first half by Sweden, but they are too slow to carry the ball and fail to trigger the two strikers. Slovakia waits without suffering and does not go very far from the advantage in the 38th minute, when Mak exchanges with Duda, who goes down to allow Kucka to enter the area; the filter of the Slovak “false nueve”, however, was immediately intercepted by Lindelof.
At the beginning of the second half, Duda’s great play: dribbling to the limit and right, slightly high. However, the most important opportunity came in the 60th minute: Larsson’s cross from the right at the far post for Augustinsson, whose strong and tense header found Dubravka’s prowess. On the next corner, Isak’s side arrives at the far post for Danielson: out of a whisker. Swedish international who increases the pace and still close to the lead in the 67th minute: Isak overwhelms Satka, but his header ends high over the crossbar. The same n ° 11 commits Dubravka again with a poisonous conclusion from the edge and from an angled position. However, the turning point of the match arrives at 77 ‘: the substitute Quaison enters the area and is overwhelmed by the Slovakian goalkeeper after having skipped him. Forsberg aims to his right and converts from the spot, despite Dubravka having guessed. For Slovakia (now second in the group with 3 points) there is no more time to recover and next Wednesday they will play the decisive match against Spain.
Sweden (4-4-2): Olsen 6; Lustig 6, Danielson 6,5, Lindelof 6, Augustinsson 6 (43 ‘st Bengtsson sv); Larsson 6,5, Olsson 6 (19 ‘st Claesson 6), Ekdal 6 (43’ st Svensson sv), Forsberg 6,5 (48 ‘st Krafth sv); Mountain 6 (19th Quaison 6.5), Isaac 5.5. A disp .: Johnsson, Nordfeldt, Helander, Sema, Jansson, Kulusevski, Cajuste. All .: Andersson 6.5
Slovakia (4-2-3-1): Dubravka 6; Pekarik 6 (20 ‘st Haraslin 6), Satka 5,5, Skriniar 6, Hubocan 6 (39’ st Hancko sv); Kucka 6, Hrosovsky 6 (39 ‘st Duris sv); Koscelnik 6, Hamsik 6.5 (32 ‘st Benes 6), Mak 5.5 (32’ st Weiss 6); Duda 6. A disp .: Kuciak, Rodak, Valjent, Gregus, Bozenik, Lobotka, Hromada. All .: Tarkovic 6
Referee: Siebert (Germania)
Marker: 32’ st rig. Forsberg (Sv)
Ammonites: Olsson (Sv), Dubravka (Sl), Duda (Sl), Weiss (Sl)
– Sweden have achieved their first success in the finals of the continental review since 2012, when they won against France in the third match of the group stage, without however qualifying for the knockout stage.
– 88% of Sweden’s goals at the European Championships came in the second half of the game (23/26): the highest percentage among teams with at least three goals in the competition.
– Emil Forsberg scored the first penalty for a Sweden player in the European Championship since Henrik Larsson against Denmark in 2004.
– Forsberg is the fourth Swedish player to have scored from the spot in the European finals after Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Henrik Larsson and Tomas Brolin.
– Forsberg is the first player from Sweden to have scored in two consecutive top international competitions in which the Scandinavians have taken part (World 2018 and Euro 2020) by Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Euro 2008 and Euro 2012 – Sweden did not play the 2010 World Cup) .
– Forsberg’s goal broke a 365-minute fast for Sweden at the European Championships: the Scandinavians’ last goal in the competition was in their first group match in 2016 against Northern Ireland.
– Sweden captain Sebastian Larsson made his 131st appearance for Sweden, equaling Kim Källström in fourth all-time appearance for the Scandinavian national team.
– Only five shots have been attempted in this first half: less than in any other challenge of this European in the first half.