They eat tuna at the restaurant: nine of them end up in the emergency room

They eat tuna at the restaurant: nine of them end up in the emergency room
They eat tuna at the restaurant: nine of them end up in the emergency room

Fainting, nausea, vomiting, loss of consciousness, are some of the symptoms that prompted nine people to go to the emergency room of two Florentine hospitals, San Giovanni di Dio and Santa Maria Nuova, between 1st and 3rd June. All patients reported to health professionals that they had eaten raw or lightly seared tuna in two different restaurants in Florence.

The investigations are conducted by the prevention technicians of the Veterinary Public Health and Food Safety Functional Unit of the Florentine area. Hygienic conditions, product conservation and upstream traceability are evaluated, both in the first and second restaurant. Tuna samples were delivered to the experimental zooprophylactic institute of Lazio and Tuscany for chemical and bacteriological analyzes.

The prevention technicians went to the distribution center in Florence which supplied the two restaurants and proceeded to carry out the sanitary blocking of all the goods referable to the lot involved. The competent authority (UFC Public Health Veterinary and Food Safety) is proceeding to apply the envisaged food alert procedure also by comparing the data that emerged from the inspection in Florentine restaurants.

Furthermore, the poison control center of Florence has made it known that a similar case has been recorded in a person who consumed tuna in a restaurant in Portoferraio.

At the moment there are no reliable hypotheses about the contaminant that may have caused the episode in consideration of the atypicality of the symptoms reported by the people involved.

PREV Tragedy on board a Ryanair flight: passenger falls ill and dies, pilot forced to emergency landing in France
NEXT Salone del Mobile Milano: the new digital platform is online