That Nintendo Switch is a console beloved by the Japanese should not be a mystery to anyone, but the results of the hybrid console are more and more da record. Japanese magazine Famitsu reported that it has managed to surpass the milestone of twenty million units sold from launch, doing incredible numbers even with games.
More precisely, Nintendo Switch has sold 16,168,420 units, while Nintendo Switch Lite it sold 3,849,858. In total the units sold are 20,018,278.
The console’s five best-selling games are all esclusive first party by Nintendo (with release dates, obviously Japanese):
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons – March 20, 2020 (6.78 million copies)
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – December 7, 2018 (4.29 million copies)
- Pokémon Sword and Shield – November 15, 2019 (4.05 million copies)
- Splatoon 2 – July 21, 2017 (3.87 million copies)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – April 28, 2017 (3.84 million copies)
Nintendo Switch launched in Japan on March 3, 2017, so these results were achieved in 222 weeks (around 4 years and 3 months). Let’s imagine that the launch of titles like Splatoon 3 or the new Pokémon will only improve the sales of the console, perhaps also helped by the launch of the rumored Nintendo Switch Pro.