There are 10 schools, one for each province, that start sample salivary tests on the school population. The campaign involves 3,300 students
FLORENCE – We also start in Tuscany with sample salivary tests to map and monitor Covid among Tuscan students. There are 10 schools, one for each province, and they start the testing campaign wanted by the Commissioner for the emergency Figliuolo.
In the top 10 sentinel schools, 3,300 children between the ages of 6 and 14 are involved. Students will be enrolled with the informed consent of families, being minors. The sampling will be carried out by the health personnel of the prevention departments of the three Tuscan ASLs within the classes selected. The samples will be collected directly at the school and then transported to the analysis laboratories.
Salivary tests will be provided by the facility of the Figliuolo emergency commissioner and will be repeated every 15 days, in order to keep under control any infections and infectious outbreaks among children.
The screening project will go on until the end of the lessons, in June 2022, and may also involve several institutes in the same province, the collection of salivary samples within the schools will be carried out by health personnel of the ASL, then, at a later time will be the parents.
As reported by the newspaper The Republic the first institutes chosen by the Department of Health, together with the regional school office, are the following:
– Petrarca Comprehensive Institute of Montevarchi (Arezzo)
– Compagni Carducci State Comprehensive Institute (Florence)
– Niccolò Pisano Comprehensive Institute (Marina di Pisa)
– Comprehensive Institute Grosseto 5 (Grosseto)
– Comprehensive Institute G. Ungaretti (Lucca)
– Comprehensive Institute Don Roberto Angeli (Livorno)
– Don Milani Comprehensive Institute (Massa)
– Montalcini Comprehensive Institute (Pescia)
– Convenient Comprehensive Institute (Prato)
– Comprehensive Institute Pier Andrea Mattioli (Siena)
From the beginning of 2021 to today they have been infected with the new coronavirus 25.310 Tuscan children and teenagers from zero to 18 years and, of these, 5.984 they attended elementary schools and 4.703 the averages. Hence the need to keep the situation in compulsory schools under control.