She wanted to be a mom Cristina Toncu. Just turned thirty, a cake designer’s job in Chivasso. For this she had chosen together with her husband, Stefan Sirbulet, originally from Singerei, to turn to the Terramed clinic in Chisinau, Moldova. They had decided to try the path of assisted fertilization. Operation that in Italy cost too much while in Moldova they would have spent only a fifth of the amount. It was August 26th. Cristina and Stefan had an appointment for the egg retrieval, a simple procedure that should have taken about twenty minutes. The woman went into cardiac arrest, went into a coma and never woke up until he died on September 2nd.
For twelve years Cristina had lived in Chivasso where she worked for the Antartide ice cream shop in Viale Matteotti, a short walk from the center. A shop he loved and which was run by his cousins. From the Turin city she and her husband had flown to Moldavia. For about four years – says Stefan-, we tried to have a child. Then, discussing with some friends, we decided to turn to a well-known private clinic in the capital, specialized in in vitro fertilization. So arrived on August 26, she undergoes the procedure for the extraction of oocytes. Shortly after, and these are the circumstances on which the Moldovan judiciary will have to shed light, Cristina’s conditions plummeted.
It was eight in the morning. But they only called me three hours later. The doctor called me into the surgery and told me that Cristina’s heart had stoppedthose. He added that he had done his job well, that there had been no complications. Then he told me to stay calm, that it would all be resolved in two weeks. Cristina was then transferred to another hospital, now in a state of death.
On September 2, the 30-year-old’s heart stopped beating, without her loved ones being immediately informed. Cristina was fine, her analyzes also say so. I know that we will not get it back with us – the relatives say -. Now we want to understand what happened. We want justice for his death. In addition to a complaint to the Prosecutor’s Office, to start a criminal case against the doctors and the health facility, the family requested the involvement of the Moldovan Ministry of Health.
The Corriere Torino newsletter
If you want to stay updated on news from Turin and Piedmont, subscribe for free to the Corriere Torino newsletter. It arrives every day straight to your inbox at 7am. Just click here
18 September 2021 | 16:42
© REPRODUCTION RESERVED